These fabulous beaded soutache style pendants are perfect for adding a dash of metallic shine to your party outfits! Follow Katalin’s project below and learn how to create a personalised design with a brilliant range of shapes, mediums and materials.
For your pendants:
Silver sparkly resin marquise flat back cabochons (BA135)
Preciosa pressed glass candy twin hole beads in frosted gold (BG0457)
Beadsmith black sturdy Soutache beading foundation (ST1122)
Silver felt square beading foundation (ST212)
Miyuki Cube Beads 4mm Metallic Black Iris (SB458)
Preciosa twin hole seed beads in labrador/shiny silver (TWH0005C)
Miyuki Cube Beads 4mm Metallic Gold (SB1053)
Toho size 15 frosted gold lined crystal seed beads (15TR989F)
Toho size 8 frosted silver lined seed beads (8TR21F)
KO black beading thread (TC304)
Czech fire polished 4mm glass beads gold bronze (BG0392)
Toho size 11 metallic iris brown seed beads (11TR83)
Toho size 8 demi round matte frosted antique silver seed beads (8DR566)
Preciosa pressed chilli beads copper (BG0465)
Preciosa pressed chilli beads in silver (BG0464)
Staedtler Fimo effect polymer clay in metallic gold (PC35)
Fabri-Tac permanent adhesive glue (W370)
For your cord and clasp:
Grey round leather 2mm cord (TC518)
Gold round leather 2mm cord (TC702)
Black organza 9mm ribbon (TC1024)
Gold plated fold over small cord ends (F0697)
Beadsmith silver metallic rayon soutache cord (TC898)
Gold plated lobster clasps (F0622)
Gold plated iron 4mm jump rings (F0214)
- First take out all materials you would have in mind for this project. I have made my centre cabochon using gold Fimo clay. You can also add some Fimo metallic powder to give a crackled look. I then designed it further by adding a sparkly resin cabochon on top of it.
- Glue all cabochons and sew bigger beads into place.
- Start working your way close to the main cabochon adding super duo beads all the way around it.
- After closing the circle add a gold cube then carry on sewing closely enough to the 2 candy beads by creating a “ribbon”.
- Bring your needle onto the surface of your work and start working around the bottom resin cabochon by adding some 3mm beads around it, once you have done it up to the other end, come down adding chilli beads all the way between the bigger beads, secure your line at this point.
- Jump back up to the main cabochon and close up the small corners on each side where the “ribbon” and centre cabochon meets by using Toho seed beads around in a half circle and adding a 4mm bead in the middle. Carry on adding Toho seed beads around your centre cabochon design keeping approx. 3-4 mm between each all the way around the super duo beads- then turn back at the end and start adding 11/0 seed beads between each Toho seed beads creating a “line” by running your needle through them. You do not need to sew into the felt.
- After you have finished this design on the main cabochon, start adding beads in the same way around the candy beads.
- At this point I have decided not to work around the other 2 candy beads I added to my design at the beginning.
- Cut off the excess felt but leave approx. 3 mm edge to help your design to pop out – later on we will add more felt in layers.
- Add a grey/silver felt underneath and trim it around leaving approx. 3mm extra around the black felt again.
- Start adding cube beads around your main cabochon (see on picture) by doing this you secure the two felts together as well as getting your design more complex.
- Carry on adding seed beads along the side of the candy beads ( see on picture ) in 3D effect/embroidery.
- Add some more beads between the chilli beads by adding some demi round beads secured with 11/0 seed beads, design as you go along!
- Complete the design on the other side as well.
- place your work over an other sheet of black felt and cut it around by leaving 3mm excess of it adding to your design.
- Cut a 3 cm long leather cord and sew it onto your pendant on the grey felt, then glue to attach it all to the black felt what we have already prepared previously.
- Your pendant is ready! Now it is up to you if you would like it on short or long chain.
- Once you’ve decided on how long you’d like your cord, knot at the halfway point around this loop of cord on top of your pendant. Take one side of your necklace and close a cord end on the tip. You may wish to add a drop of glue into this before closing the cord end with flat nose pliers. Repeat this on the other side of the necklace. Attach a jump ring to each side of the necklace onto the cord end and finally attach a lobster clasp to one of the sides.