As you know we’re excited to be stocking Shrinkles shrink plastic here at Beads Direct. Shrink plastic is a fantastic craft product, with various uses from cardmaking and papercraft to jewellery making and beyond. You can draw, stamp and colour on to shrink plastic and shrink it in the oven or using a heat tool. This makes it shrink 7 times smaller and thicker, leaving you with a more robust, useable charm, motif or pendant. Shrink plastic is fun to use for kids and adults alike!
We wanted to share a this cute shrink plastic project by Natalia Colman, author of the new book ‘Fantastic Shrink Plastic‘ available exclusively at Beads Direct!
Hello Kitty Inspired Charms Made with Shrinkles Shrink Plastic
by Natalia Colman
1 x Art sized sheet frosted shrink plastic
1 x Art sized sheet white shrink plastic
1 x Art sized sheet pink shrink plastic
Silver glitter gel pen
Two-part resin glue
Fine black marker pen
3 x 9mm silver plated jump rings
Single hole punch
2 x silver plated key chain findings
1 x metre Fabric pink chain (product code CH1034)
Pack of Swarovski flat back crystals (product code AC830)
Pack of Swarovski amethyst flat back crystals (product code AC833)
Visit our Shrink Plastic section to buy your materials: http://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/Shrink-Plastic/
1. Trace a Kitty picture onto the rough side of each sheet of shrink plastic (your Kitty needs to measure approximately 9cm x 6.5cm). Cut your Kitty shapes out using a pair of scissors.
2. Colour in the frosted shrink plastic Kitty using a silver glitter gel pen. Use a black marker pen to draw the whiskers on the front of each Kitty face. Use a single hole punch to cut a hole at the top each head. Ensure you have done this BEFORE you shrink your kitty head, as it is very difficult to do afterwards!
3. Shrink the plastic using a heat gun tool or by placing it in the oven (follow the manufacturer’s instructions for shrinking).
4. Mix some two-part resin glue and use a cocktail stick to apply the glue to the back of the Swarovski crystals. Stick these on to form the eyes, nose and bow on each Kitty. After the glue has dried (allow 3 hours) attach a jump ring to each Kitty.
5. On the glittery Kitty attach the pink acrylic chain to the jump ring. Attach a key chain finding to the jump ring on the white and pink Kitty.
You can use your new shrink plastic kitty charm to create a keyring, necklace, bracelet, decoration, card design and much more! Need more help? Try watching our full step by step video, where Natalia shows you how!
If you’re interested in learning more about shrink plastic, why not try Natalia Colman’s book, Fantastic Shrink Plastic, available at Beads Direct.